See all articles


The First Home Owners Grant is a national scheme, funded by the states and territories and administered under their own legislation.

While the basic $7,000 grant applies across all states, some states and territories also provide their own additional grants and stamp duty subsidies, including additional benefits for new construction and new homes in regional areas.

Victorian eligible first home buyers are entitled to a $10,000 grant on a newly constructed home (building or purchase of new home) for contracts entered into on or after 1 July 2013.  This only applies if the price of the property doesn’t exceed $750 000 and be the first sale of the property as a residential premise.

Your new home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar. You’re not eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse or partner have already:

  • Received the FHOG in Australia
  • Lived in a home in Australia in which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000, for a continuous period of at least six months
  • Have owned a residential property in any State or Territory of Australia

These criteria apply even if your spouse/partner is not an applicant with you for the FHOG.


  • All FHOG applicants must be at least 18 at settlement or completion of construction (although there is discretion with this age requirement)
  • You (or at least one applicant) must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of settlement or completion of the home’s construction, and

You (or at least one applicant) must intend to live in the home as your PPR for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction

Unfortunately established homes are no longer eligible to receive the FHOG. In Victoria, from July 1 2017 if you are buying an established home as your first home however, you are entitled to no stamp duty for homes valued at $600,000 or less and discounted stamp duty between $600,000 and $750,000.

The process is similar across Australia, but there are differences between jurisdictions. In all states and mainland territories, you have two options when applying for a grant:

  • You can lodge your application through an ‘approved agent’ (via a mortgage broker), which is the bank or financial institution providing your mortgage
  • You can download the application form, complete and lodge it yourself with the authorities once you have completed the sales transaction.

You also need to provide the government with supporting paperwork to prove you’re eligible, including the contract of sale, contract to build, and proof of your identity.

For applications through a lending institution, the First Home Owner Grant funds will be available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.

When applied directly to the government agency, most will pay the grant into your bank account when your purchase is complete.

Making the decision to purchase a property is important so as a responsible and diligent first home buyer, you should have carefully reviewed your budget, compared different home loans and researched the property market.

Grants and concessions tend to change at short notice. Be sure you find out which grants and concessions may be available to you so you can pursue your dream of home ownership sooner.

For an honest and unbiased opinion, talk to Think and Grow Finance today on 03 8390 5855 or email